Hear once again the words of Steven Archer of Ego Likeness, Stone Burner
“On picking band names.”
Band names need to do a couple of things to function.
1. The main one is be memorable and easy to say. Ego Likeness is not the best people are always like “eagle kindness?”
2. Not be a common search term. Don’t pick a piece of technology like “router” or some shit.
3. Not limit you. “Fetal death exposition,” won’t be doing many ballads, where as both Stoneburner and Ego aren’t limited by the names themselves.
4. Be easy to abbreviate or simplify.
It took us years to figure out how to put “Ego Likeness” on a square sticker in a readable size.
For those keeping track.
Big E G O little Likeness below.
This is important because if it gets projected on the wall behind you on stage you want it to use all the space and be readable in the back.
5. It helps to have good concepts behind them. All of my bands, Ego, Stoneburner, QueenNeon, Oscellus, and Hopeful Machines have cool concepts or ideas.
6. Listen to this before you make a final choice.